Yesterday we’ve told you that MMS on the iPhone will be available on Friday for AT&T users. You can get MMS with a simple carrier update. I’ve seen a lot of buzz on the www. that it will only works with iPhone Firmware 3.1. BS, this works on 3.0 and 3.0.1 as well. Check the instructions below.
For Firmware 3.1 ( jailbroken AND non-jailbroken devices ):
- Plug in your iPhone
- Wait for iTunes to prompt you that there is a new upgrade
- If no prompt, click ‘check for upgrade’
- Upgrade ( real fast )
- Restart iPhone
- Congrats you’re done
For Firmware 3.0 and 3.0.1
First thing you need to do is to download the newest AT&T Profile 5.5 (release 9.25.09).
NOTE1: This will disable “cellular data network”. To keep cellular data network, see note at bottom of the tutorial
NOTE2: This update will also disable tethering, follow note at bottom to keep.
- Open the Terminal Application
- Run this command: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
- Click Start > Run > Type: cmd (and hit enter)
- Run this command: “C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe” /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
Now, open iTunes:
- OSX – Hold the alt key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.
- Windows – Hold the shift key while clicking update under your iPhone in iTunes.
– Navigate to the IPCC file (Windows* might need to change file type to IPCC)
– Let upgrade happen (it is very fast)
– Restart your iPhone
– Congrats you’re done
Advanced ONLY: ( in other words, if you’re not sure what this is all above, just dont do it )
If you use the 5.0 carrier file you can KEEP your “cellular data network” & tethering. Basically 5.5 will give you instant mms with setting configured but will disable cellular data network. With 5.0, you have to configure mms parameter manually, but cellular data network is there thus tethering is
Follow the same directions but instead use this file. After updating to that file and restarting you must goto “cellular data network” (Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network)
And update some your configs :
Visual Voicemail change wap.cingular to acds.voicemail
MMS settings (below the Visual Voicemail ) should match this (leave blank fields blank):
- APN: wap.cingular
- MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
- MMS Proxy: 066.209.011.32
- MMS Max Message Size: 614400
- MMS UA Prof URL: