You all know that GeoHotz finally jailbreaked iPhone 3Gs, but the dev team is delaying the official release until the new FW is released by Apple. The reasons are obvious but, as promised this morning, the DevTeam has written a new article on the official blog, which explains some important details about the iPhone 3Gs Jailbreak.
Pretty much the iPhone 3Gs Jailbreak is ready , and they can release the tools anytime, but by doing that, they will allow Apple to check out the tools, and implement protection in the new iPhone OS update 3.0.1. And if they do that, all the work needs to be redone ( more or less , but still…. ).
- If you are already holders of an iPhone 3GS and have saved the certificate on your ECID, you are safe and Jailbreak there will always be possible. IF you didnt save the certificate on your ECID, DO IT NOW!!!
- If you dont have a 3Gs , but your thinking on upgrading, step it up, and do it. Once you did it, save the certificate on your ECID.
The 3Gs hardware allows Apple to block the installation of .ipsw files without digital signature and it is precisely for this reason that saving the certificate through the ECID is a must.
In general to perform the Jailbreak you must have at least file a certificate belonging to the iBoot family and it must always have a bug by which to find the exploit. So, save the ECID certificate.
Why does the Dev-Team is not releasing the jailbreaking tools for 3Gs now:
Once the jailbreak is out, Apple will fix the iBoot-family bug we use to accomplish it. They will simply stop signing the old iBoots and only sign the fixed ones. If you bought your phone after Apple has done this, there’s nothing you can do…the jailbreak isn’t going to work for you.
It is possible that Apple will find the bug we use without our handing it to them on a silver platter (via a public jailbreak). In that case, we will have delayed our jailbreak for “nothing”. But we’d rather be safe than sorry!
Apple is surely coming out with a 3.0.1 firmware release shortly. They need to fix ultrasn0w. They need to fix some UI issues. 3.0 is buggy and 3.0.1 is coming. We’re going to wait and see what 3.0.1 brings before figuring out the release date for our version of the jailbreak.
In the meantime, we have some remaining 3.0 jailbreak issues to investigate, including push notification. Thanks for being patient with us while we took a 3GS “timeout”!