Since the release of our jailbreak, there hasn’t really been much going on in terms of new software to utilize. The folks behind XBMC (formerly “Xbox Media Center”) have managed to bring their software to the AppleTV2. This means you can decode that awesome 1080p HD content, and utilize the hardware inside your little box.
ALSO READ HOW TO: Install XBMC Media Center On Your iPhone And iPad
- Full XBMC install, this is not a remote or thin client streamer.
- No longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes.
- Who wants transcoded video anyway?
- Share files on your network your way.
- Full hardware decode for 720p/1080p movies.
- Everything else you know and love about XBMC.
NOTE: The following HOW-TO requires you to have Jailbroken ATV2 version 4.1 or 4.2.1
- load terminal and type
- ssh [email protected]_ATV2_IP_ address
- root@’s password: ”enter your password here, it should be “alpine” if you havent changed it”
- echo “deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
After XBMC is succesfully installed, frontrow (ATV2 home screen) will restart and you will see XBMC in it.
ALSO READ nitoTV Updated. Added Support For XBMC Media Center