Starting with redsn0w version 0.9.11b1, those with newer devices (iPad2, iPad3, and iPhone4S) can join the downgrade fun too! In a radical departure from previous versions of redsn0w, it now directly supports restoring IPSWs to your device. The first use of this new feature implements a hack that allows A5 downgrades without a bootrom-level exploit.
Jump over the break to learn how to use redsn0w to downgrade your iOS device…
1. Download redsn0w
2. Download your current iOS 5.1.1 and the one you want to downgrade to ( iOS 5.0.1 )
3. Unzip redsn0w and run it
4. Choose ‘Extras’
5. Choose ‘Even More’
6. Choose ‘Restore’
7. Click on ‘IPSW’
8. Select the iOS you want to downgrade to. In this case iOS 5.0.1
9. Select the iOS 5.1.1
10. You will be warned that by continuing the downgrade process your iPhone’s baseband will be updated to the latest version. That means that if you need ultrasn0w to unlock your phone this process will probably cause you to loose it. If you don’t care about an unlock, continue by clicking ‘Yes’
11. Your device will enter recovery mode. Click ‘Ok’ to continue
12. You need to choose blobs to restore. You can choose between local blobs or remote blobs:
- LOCAL BLOBS: You can choose this option if you saved your blobs with TinyUmbrella or you used RedSn0w but did not let Cydia save a copy of your blobs.
- REMOTE BLOBS: You can choose this option if you previously saved your blobs with RedSn0w and they were stored on the Cydia server ( easiest )
If you click local, you must locate your blobs. This is how you do it:
- Mac: after clicking on local, hit COMMAND+SHIFT+G, input ~/.shsh and click ‘go’. From there select and open the file that matches the ECID displayed in RedSn0w and the firmware version you are downgrading to.
- Windows: navigate to your home folder and go into the .shsh folder. From there select and open the file that matches the ECID displayed in RedSn0w and the firmware version you are downgrading to.
NOTE: There is a bug that makes downgrading the iPhone 4S to iOS 5.0.1 build 9A406 not work. Select SHSH blobs for 9A405 instead.
13. redsn0w will begin the restore process. Be patient
14. Congrats! You’ve successfully downgraded your iOS device. Enjoy your jailbreak…