NOTE: This is NOT an official release, so use it at your own risk!
While waiting for an iOS 4.1 jailbreak, we can take a look at some unofficial ways to jailbreak the iPhone 3Gs running iOS 4.1 . Make sure you read all the notes, and read the article twice before you attempt this method. Once again, this is not an official release, use it at your own risk.
- iPhone 3Gs with old iBoot
- Pwnagetool and Jailbreak iOS4.1
- Stock iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3Gs
- iTunes 10
NOTE: Your iPhone 3Gs needs to needs to be on 3.1.2/3.1.3 and needs a boot level jailbreak. So, it can’t be jailbroken with JailbreakMe or Blackra1n. If it’s jailbroken with PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze, you’re golden…
NOTE: This version of PwnageTool will NOT hacktivate your iPhone. That means, that you will need the original SIM or a phonebook SIM to activate it. After activation you can install ultrasn0w and unlock it.
1. Load iTunes and sync your iDevice so you can backup. If you dont want to backup with iTunes, you can to it manually…
2. Download and load PwnageTool . You will get a pop-up window, click OK
3. Click on expert mode button, select your device and click on the blue arrow to continue.
4. In the next window, you will need to select the original firmware 3.1.3 for your device. PwnageTool will find it for you, but if it fails that task, click browse and look for it manually.
5. In the next window select “General” and lets start customizing the firmware
5.1. In the next screen adjust the size of the partition or leave as it is and click on continue.
NOTE: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone 3G/3Gs legitimately activated on an official carrier.
NOTE: You may need to increase the size of the root partition slightly. My first attempt failed at creating the IPSW until I increased the size to about 695 MB.
5.2 Bootloader screen is only available for iPhone EDGE so if you are on 3G/3Gs or iTouch you ignore this screen
5.3 In the next screen you can add repositories and install any appolication that you want so when you restore your iDevice it will already be full of everything you need. To do this, first go to “Manage Sources” and add all the sources that you want. Now go to the “Download Packages” tab, refresh the list and select the apps that you want to be install and click on “Add to queue”. All the apps will be displayed in the “Select Packages” tab. Make sure everything is right and than click on the blue arrow to continue
5.4 In the next window you have the option to install Cydia and Icy or just one of them.
5.5 Now you can choose the boot and recovery logos. Go with the default ones, browse for your own or use no logos
6 Now select “Build” and than click on the blue arrow to continue and start creating your custom firmware
6.1 Now you will be asked where you want to save the custom firmware. Choose your path and click on Save
7. Now wait until the custom firmware is built and saved on your computer
8. While creating the custom FW, PwnageTool will ask for your Mac’s password. DO NOT type it it. Instead, install Jailbreak iOS 4.1 ( type the admin password if prompted ).
9. Now switch back to PwnageTool and type-in your password. You will get a pop-up that will tell you to put your iPhone in Recovery Mode and restore with iTunes.
10. Now load iTunes, and alt( option ) + restore which will allow you to browse for the custom iOS 4.1 that you just created. Select it, and let iTunes extract, verify and restore your iPhone 3Gs.
11. Now you have an iPhone 3Gs running on iOS 4.1 and jailbroken. But there are a few things you need to take care of:
- IF Cydia has a blank icon, load it go to Manage> Sources> Edit> Add and add: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7
- IF Safari is crashing , add source: http://repo.woowiz.net and install Safarifix
[thanks yespazio, via iSpazio]