The mighty iPhone DevTeam released the tools that you need to jailbreak iPhone firmware 3.1 , but unfortunately just for Mac at the moment. The tools does not support the iPhone 3Gs nor iTouch 2G/3G, so if you own any of those devices you are out of luck.
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates as described here and here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts.
- If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release.
- This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
- Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw ‘nuff said, you don’t need to worry about anything, the baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
iPod touch 1G (Original iPod Touch)
- Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
iPod touch 2G
- Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool, use Redsn0w for an earlier (pre 3.1) firmware release instead.
iPod touch 3G (New iPod Touch)
- Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool
NOTE: before you proceed with the process make sure you manually backup your iPhone. Learn how to do it here
thx Micah Fitzkee and iPhone_NL