The mighty iPhone DevTeam just released their Pwnage tool for iPhone Firmware 3.1 but unfortunately is for Mac users only. They also said that ” redsn0w for Mac OS X and Windows will follow sometime in the near future, please don’t bug us about it – we’ll release when we have something ready.”Bad news for iPhone 3Gs and iTouch 2G/3G users, because this release does not support this devices.
As always, the iPhone DevTeam let us know about the rules that we need to follow in order to use ( or not ) this tool:
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates as described here and here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts.
- If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release.
- This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
How To Jailbreak iPhone FW 3.1 :
Make sure you have iTunes 9 installed. If not, update your iTunes
First of all i suggest you do a manual backup of your iPhone. You can learn how to do that by reading our previous tutorial
Plug-in your iPhone, load iTunes and click on update. Wait for the firmware to be downloaded and installed on your iPhone.
While you wait for the firmware to be downloaded and installed, download Pwnagetool on your Mac. Download it from one of this links:
- PwnageTool_3.1.dmg.5089960.TPB.torrent ( recommended )
Mount it and copy Pwnagetool.app on your computer and put it in a folder next to the firmware 3.1 that you will download in step 6
Download firmware 3.1 and put it inside the folder where you have PwnageTool.app
- iPhone EDGE/2G
- iPhone 3G
Load PwnageTool.app ( with iPhone connected ), and click OK on the pop-up with the Copyright agreement
Click on the “Expert Mode” button, choose your device and than click on the blue arrow
Browse for the iPhone FW 3.1 . If you have more than one FW stored on your Mac, MAKE SURE you choose the correct firmware. Chances are , PwnageTool will find the FW for you, if not just click browse.
Now click on “General” and begin the customization
The next screen is a little bit tricky, so pay attention:
- If you have an iPhone EDGE/2G you can’t check “Activate the phone”
- If you have an iPhone 3G you can check “Activate the phone” BUT Deselect if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier.
- If you have an iTouch, there’s nothing to check so you can click on the blue arrow
You can also change the size of the partition. I made mine 1012 MB. Make yours as big as you want (dont go crazy) but dont go lower than what you get when you enter this screen
On the next screen ( no matter what device you have ) just click on the blue arrow. Bootloader Settings are available only for iPhone EDGE users.For iTouch and iPhone 3G users, the screen will be grayed out and you cant interact with it.
On the next screen you can add any sources you want and install any applications you want. So when you install the new FW on your device, it will already be full of applications. This step is optional, you dont need to do it now, so you can just click on the blue arrow to continue
NOTE: you might want to uncheck Icy, and install it later if you really want to. If you remember, last time we jailbroken our devices, there were some problems with ICY being installed this way.
In the next screen you can choose the boot logo and recovery logo. You can also browse and use your own, but i suggest you UNCHECK THEM BOTH AND USE THE ORIGINAL LOGOS.
Now you will be back on the first window where you need to click on Build and than the blue arrow.
You will get a pop-up window that will tell you that PwnageTool will save the custom .ipsw file on your computer. Choose your location and move on.
Now just wait until the custom firmware is created. Wont take long. It will ask you for you password, just type it and move on.
When the custom fw is built, you will get a pop-up window that will ask you if you device was jailbreaked before. CLICK NO
Now you need to turn off your device and get it into DFU mode. You know the drill home button, home + power just home.Just follow the directions on the screen.
Don’t worry if you dont mess it up. You can try it again and again.
You will get a pop-up windows that will tell you that your iPhone is in DFU Mode and you can start iTunes and restore your iPhone with the custom FW.
To do that, just click alt+restore and browse for your custom .ipsw file
Wait for the custom .ipsw to be installed on your device and thats it. Congrats, you got a jailbroken iPhone/iTouch using Firmware 3.1. Niceeeeee
NOTE: During the process you might get some errors. If this happens, unplug your device and immediately plug it back in.