The iPhone DevTeam released the new version of PwnageTool which will jailbreak your iPhone 2G/3G/3Gs and iTouch 1G/2G running firmware 3.1.2.
- The iPhone 3GS is now supported out of the box in PwnageTool 3.1.4 (or if you have upgraded to 3.1.x in iTunes)
- The iPod 2G is still supported in PwnageTool 3.1.4 but you must already be jailbroken
- The iPod touch 3G is NOT supported
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G(S) with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service then you should only update your device with an .ipsw that is made with the new PwnageTool. There are no second chances with this. You need to remember that PwnageTool will provide an upgrade path to newer versions of the iPhone software in the future.
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1.4 capable version of PwnageTool.
- PwnageTool will work for the iPhone 3GS
- PwnageTool will work for the iPod touch 2G
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G(S) and the iPod touch (1st Generation and 2nd Generation) but NOT the iPod touch 3rd generation.
- For 3G and 3G(S) users who are Pwned, PwnageTool is your key to updating in the future, just remember to never install an update directly from Apple, always use an .ipsw that has been created with PwnageTool.
- There is no Windows version of PwnageTool it is a Mac OS X tool only, we are not developing a Windows version of PwnageTool.
What do you need:
- PwnageTool 3.1.4 ( torrent )
- Original 3.1.2 firmware
- iPhone EDGE/2G
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3Gs
- iTouch 1G
- iTouch 2G
- iTunes 9.0.1
How to do it:
1. Load iTunes and sync your iDevice so you can backup. If you dont want to backup with iTunes, you can to it manually…
2. Download and load PwnageTool 3.1.4. You will get a pop-up window, click OK
3. Click on expert mode button than select your device and click on the blue arrow to continue.
4. In the next window, you will need to select the original firmware 3.1.2 for your device. PwnageTool will find it for you, but if it fails that task, click browse and look for it manually.
5. In the next window select “General” and lets start customizing the firmware
5.1. In the next screen adjust the size of the partition or leave as it is and click on continue.
NOTE: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier.
NOTE: You may need to increase the size of the root partition slightly. My first attempt failed at creating the IPSW until I increased the size to about 695 MB.
5.2 Bootloader screen is only available for iPhone EDGE so if you are on 3G/3Gs or iTouch you ignore this screen
5.3 In the next screen you can add repositories and install any appolication that you want so when you restore your iDevice it will already be full of everything you need. To do this, first go to “Manage Sources” and add all the sources that you want. Now go to the “Download Packages” tab, refresh the list and select the apps that you want to be install and click on “Add to queue”. All the apps will be displayed in the “Select Packages” tab. Make sure everything is right and than click on the blue arrow to continue
5.4 In the next window you have the option to install Cydia and Icy or just one of them.
5.5 Now you can choose the boot and recovery logos. Go with the default ones, browse for your own or use no logos
6 Now select “Build” and than click on the blue arrow to continue and start creating your custom firmware
6.1 Now you will be asked where you want to save the custom firmware. Choose your path and click on Save
7. Now wait until the custom firmware is built and saved on your computer
8. After the custom fw is built it will ask you if your device was pwned before. Click NO
9. Now it’s time to put the iDevice into DFU mode. First turn it off and follow the directions on the screen.
10. Once you are into DFU mode, open iTunes ( it will recognize a device in recovery mode ) , alt+restore and browse for the custom FW you just created. Wait for the restore
11. Congrats!!! You’re on a jailbroken 3.1.2 firmware now.
If you preserved the baseband you can install ulran0w via Cydia.
NOTE: when loading Cydia, choose the “Developers – No filters” mode and install the recommended updates. IF you didnt install it when creating the custom FW, install OpenSSH as well.
NOTE: IF on iPhone 3Gs, save your ECID certificate through the Cydia home screen.