A few days ago we showed you how to jailbreak and iPhone 3Gs running iOS 4.1 with an unofficial extra package for PwnageTool. Some of you did it and it worked, some of you had to get creative but managed to jailbreak anyway, and some of you just couldn’t handle the tutorial. No problem , today we have another one for you, still using PwnageTool, but this time using unofficial bundles ( just like the one for iOS 4 GM ).
NOTE: this is not an official DevTeam release, so if you don’t know what you’re getting into, you better wait for an official iOS/jailbreak/unlock release.
NOTE: video is for iOS 4.0 GM, but it is the exact same process and you can still use it for a visual walkthrough
You will need:
- jailbreak bundle for iPhone 3Gs 4.0 GM
- redsn0w 0.9.5beta4
- iTunes 10 and stock iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3Gs
NOTE: The Cydia package that is currently in PwnageTool does not work for 4.1. The easiest way to get it working is to download the redsn0w jailbreak for beta 4 and extract Cydia from there and put it into your custom PwnageTool.
There are stipulations though so pay attention before you try it:
- Pwnage is MAC ONLY
- You must have an older bootrom.
- You must already have a pwned device running 3.1.3 or lower. If you do not, you will have to downgrade your 4.0/4.1 device first, pwn it, and then you can use the pwnage to jailbreak your 4.1. Once more, if you restored 4.1 in iTunes, you cannot use this method without downgrading first. (Downgrade instructions are here).
- You must have pwned your device using redsn0w or pwnage. Spirit/JailbreakMe does not count!
- This is not for any other device than a 3gs on older bootrom.
1. Download the bundle and all the tools and place them on your desktop
2. First, you will need to download the custom bundle and copy it into PwnageTool. To do that, right click on PwnageTool.app and ‘Show Package Contents’ .
Browse to Contents>Resources>Firmware Bundles> and copy thecustom bundle…
3. Right click on redsn0w.app and ‘Show Package Contents’. Browse to Contents>MacOS> . Copy Cydia.tar.gz on your desktop and extract its content.
Now you will need to copy Cydia into PwnageTool.app. To do that, right click on Pwnagetool.app and ‘Show Package Contents’. Browse to : Contents>Resources>CustomPackages> right click on ‘CydiaInstaller.bundle’ and ‘Show Package Contents’ > Files> and overwrite all the files with the ones you just extracted from redsn0w
4. That’s it. Now load PwnageTool.app and create your custom firmware. If you don’t know how, check this tutorial
5. Once you got the custom .ipsw, you will restore your iOS device via iTunes. Your iOS device must be jailbroken. Put the device in recovery mode and restore.
NOTE: this is NOT an official DevTeam release, and we cannot 100% confirm that it will preserve your baseband. Use it at your own risk…