Well you had to do it didn’t you. You just had to taste that forbidden fruit… and now you have been cast from the garden, and are sitting in the dark… alone… with a pretty black brick that used to be your beloved iPhone. Attempts to roll back have left you frustrated and your soul seeks guidance… Not to fret! We are here to help bring you back from the abyss!
Before we get started, here is a few items you will need to acquire…
- Some ice for your head, to sooth it from all the pounding against the desk
- A cold drink (this may take a min)
Now that we are all Squared away there, you will need to download the following items before you can proceed.
- The IPSW of choice (I would recommend 4.3.3 as it is jailbreakable and still being signed by apple. I can’t think of any logical reason why you would want to roll back further… But, your are not the logical type now are you (as proved by your updating to a buggy beta without any means of correcting your own mistake! What were you thinking!). Just make sure you have your SHSH stored with Cydia if you choose to go older then 4.3.3) this can be found up there in the corner under the downloads link. Just find your device and go.
- TinyUmbrella. This can be found at http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ . Just download the version that will work for your system. I’m assuming your on a Mac, so this guide will be based on that system. Otherwise it’s similar, so follow along anyway.
- iTunes 10.5 beta. You should have this already as you needed it to install 5.0beta, but just google it, if for some reason you don’t already have it. (I can’t link that here, sorry folks)
Ok that was fun. Now what? The rest of this walk threw assumes you have at least a somewhat higher IQ then that bricked iPhone your holding. If not, stop here and check craig’s list, perhaps someone there can help you.
If you are wanting to roll back to 4.3.3 (which should be most of you who are not drooling on themselves), follow these easy steps
Steps to enter DFU mode:
- Turn device off
- Hold power button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing power button, hold down home button for 10 seconds
- Release power button, but continue to hold the home button until iTunes recognizes your iPhone in recovery mode. If you did it right, it should just have a black screen with no connect to iTunes logo.
5. Hold down the option key and click the restore button in iTunes
6. Browse to wherever you have your IPSW saved and select it.
7. iTunes will give you some gibberish about wiping out all your data… I know you might not be able to read it, just click the flashing ok button.
8. Sit back and do whatever it is you do while your computer is working (just try not to drool on the keyboard.)
9. If you are using an iPhone 4, you should be done. If not, you have received some sort of error more then likely. This is normal. Open TinyUmbrella and click the exit from restore button.
10. YOUR DONE!!! Be sure to put your helmet back on before you go outside 🙂
NOTE: if you have changed your host file for cydia, you have to change it back to use this guide. TinyUmbrella will do this for you in the advanced tab.