Aside from a full, more robust, replacement for the stock messaging app, BiteSMS also offers a handy set of features called quick compose and quick reply.These features allow you to assign a gesture (think activator) to quickly send or receive a SMS while within another app. Saving you steps, and not interrupting your work flow.
Now, if you are familiar with such things, you would know that there are several tweaks on the app store that offer similar functionality. These more popular alternatives include Messages+ and iRealSMS. Where biteSMS differentiates itself is design.
Rather just create an (arguably) ugly popup bubble like messages+, or a 4.x style alert style popup like iReal, biteSMS took it up a notch with iOS 5 and made a custom popup based on the new tweet sheet. It honestly looks like something Apple should have bundled with the OS.
Functionality wise, it also has the competition beat. While the others focus 100% on messaging, and may or may not include things like MMS within their popup, bite wins again with system wide communication integration. From the customizable popup menu you can Call, FaceTime, or even view your entire conversation with the person.
BiteSMS v6.2 comes with the following changelog:
- FINALLY! Added Camera and Photo icon (via biteSMS pop-up menu) so you can easily send photo’s in Quick Compose and Quick Reply.
- Added an ‘Opt Out’ of a conversation feature. Ideal for spam or group messages or even keeping a ‘quiet’ conversation. Long holding on a conversation toggles notification alerts on or off.
- Added a ‘Copy to Clipboard’ feature. Ever wanted to copy an entire conversation and then for example email a copy of it. It’s easy now using biteSMS, go into any conversation (tap the status bar to go to top of convo) then tap [Copy to Clipboard].
- Tapping the biteSMS status bar icon now launches Quick Reply if there’s just one pending message (otherwise slides open the Notification Center).
- Added Orientation Lock for Quick Compose and Quick Reply. See biteSMS > Settings > More Stuff.
- Added ability to specify a group message contact pic. See biteSMS > Settings > More Stuff > Contact Pics.
- Much better integration with Siri for iPhone 4S devices.
- Now compliant with iOS 5.1.
- Added some simple theme support. There is a file you can create and edit to specify the color of the QR and QC text fields. Only create the file and add details for fields you want to change.The file is /Applications/biteSMS.app/QR-theme.plist (this file is not there as we don’t want to overwrite it for each release).You need to create it for your own purposes. However there is a QR-theme.example for reference purposes).
- Bunch of bug fixes and performance improvements.
BiteSMS is available in Cydia Store via BigBoss repo…