Yesterday we told you about iPhoDroid , an easy automated way to install Android OS on your iPhone. We got a lot of emails about the app, so we decided to do a video tutorial.
First things first…
Although this port does everything that you expect your smartphone to be able to do, it isn’t usable for day-to-day activities just yet–I haven’t implemented any power-management functions, so a fully charged iPhone running Android will last only an hour or so.
A few bugs and performance issues remain, too, so while the phone will be usable, it won’t be fast. If you do something unexpected (such as forcing the iPhone off), there is a small chance that you may end up restoring your device. However, it is impossible for any bugs to brick or disable your iPhone permanently.
Finally, media syncing is not working, so loading your media onto your phone is kind of a pain. I’m working as hard as I can, though, and I expect to fix these issues soon.
The advantage of this app is that it will automagically transfer all the files to your iDevice, and keeps the device on safe, because no instalaltion is processed. But it is only available for Mac users. However, if you use iPhodroid, you will no longer need a Linux machine or a Linux virtual machine.
NOTE: You should disable the auto-lock on your iPhone. To do this, go to Settings>General>Auto-lock and set it to ‘Never’.
You will need:
- a jailbroken iPhone 2G or 3G running firmware 3.1.2 ( NOT 3.1.3 )
- the device should be jailbroken with PwnageTool, RedSn0w or Blackra1n. Won’t work with Spirit…
- OpenSSH installed with default password ( alpine )
- Macfuse installed on your Mac – i suggest you won’t download Macfuse yourself and wait for iPhoDroid to prompt you to download and install. I got a mismatch error 3 times…
- and of course… iPhodroid
- load you Mac’s Activity Monitor and quit iPhone Helper
- load terminal and type ssh firstname.lastname@example.org ( x is your IP address ) hit enter and type alpine. Don’t close your terminal shell…
- load iPhoDroid and hit ‘run’ . When prompted , download and install MacFuse. Load iPhoDroid again, and hit ‘run’