This is just a short and sweet update on my “HOW TO: Break Up With Google” post. For most people the hardest thing to do, when breaking up with Google, is to move away from YouTube.
What most people don’t realize ( including myself until a couple of months ago ) is that you can use RSS with YouTube. Check how to do it here.
The app is still in beta, and there’s some bugs ( like using Tor for API calls does not work and max video resolution is 720p ) but for the most part works great. Also keep in mind that if you have a ton of subscriptions, when you open the app, it will take some time to load all the subscriptions. Also, I THINK, it will bypass geo-restrictions. Not sure though, as I’ve not come across any geo-restricted videos to test it out.
- Watch videos without ads
- Make API calls through the Tor network
- Subscribe to channels without an account
- Local subscriptions, history, and saved videos
- Export & import subscriptions
- Open videos from your browser directly into FreeTube (with extension)
- Mini Player
- Light / dark theme
Learn more and download FreeTube on the project’s github page.