I did NOT try this, and i don’t want to try it.But most of you want to get a piece of the action. One way you coulde’ve get it was to sign up with Apple for a developer account and voila. You would gain access to the firmware. BE AWARE AND USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK :
It almost goes without saying, but we will say it anyway 🙂 With all of the great stuff lined up for us with the 3.0 OS that Apple described today, many 3G owners may find themselves with itchy update fingers. If you find yourself with access to the 3G IPSW for 3.0 via the iPhone Dev Center program, and you are using yellowsn0w, do not update or restore to that official IPSW. You will lose yellowsn0w and find yourself unable to revert the baseband to get it back. And for those wondering, yes the 3.0 OS is jailbreakable on all devices. It’s just those using 3G yellowsn0w that have to show some restraint and wait for PwnageTool to create a custom IPSW that avoids the baseband update.
[ via iPhone dev team ]
Download FW 3.0 :
- iPhone 3G : http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1838022/6799826/
- iPhone 2G (EDGE) : http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/71338809/iphone+3.0+beta?tab=summary
- iPod Touch 2G : http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1838011/4652562/%5DiPod
- iPod Touch 1G : http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/71458125/iPhone+iPod+Touch+3.0+sdk?tab=summary
I feel the need to repeat myself : i did NOT try this and i dont want to try it. Use it at your own risk and if you use it, make sure to comment and let us know what you think about it. LATER UPDATE : BigBoss warning : Non-Developers DO NOT USE
- The iPhone OS will probably expire every couple of weeks. If you are out and need a phone the day it expires you are screwed. You will not be able to use the iPhone until you restore to the “upgraded” version. If the current version is “leaked” (meaning you are not a developer and got it through unofficial means), there is no guarantee you will have access to the next beta to keep the iPhone running.
- The iPhone v3.0 OS is due out for this summer. That puts the release date to be about 3 months away still. That is a long time! The OS is not done. Why would you want to run a buggy incomplete OS on your iPhone?
- The beta will have compatibility issues with some apps.
- You will not be able to jailbreak your beta.
- If you want some of the new features, read this post on how to use them on a 2.x.
- Your 3g baseband will be updated, and you cannot go back. Yellowsn0w on 3g will also stop working. There will be no fix for this. It is permanent!
- The 3.0 beta is likely very battery hungry and has a lot of debug symbols in use. It is likely also to use more memory than expected causing some apps to outright crash. Such is often the case with beta operating systems. 8) The 3.0 beta baseband is likely to not be very efficient and tested.
If you already upgraded there is a way to downgrade to 2.x . BigBos also gives you the solution here . So, there are nuff warnings for you and there is a way to downgrade. You are on your own with this one. [ also read iPhone OS 3.0 First Look and HowTo: iPhone Tethering on iPhone OS 3.0 (AT&T) ]