GeoHot just released Limera1n for Windows, an untethered jailbreking tool for 3rd and 4th generation iOS devices running on iOS 4.0-4.1 and above. In this tutorial we’re going to show you how to use limera1n on Mac and Windows. So, let’s take a look…
NOTE: the jailbreaking process is exactly the same on both platforms ( tutorial below is made on a Windows machine )
NOTE: if you need to unlock your iPhone, do not use this tool. Wait for the iPhone DevTeam to release PwnageTool, or update using TinyUmbrella to preserve your baseband. Here’s a tutorial… (iPhone 4 ONLY !!! )
NOTE: if you’re a mac user, you won’t be to perform the jailbreak with limera1n in VMWare. You need bootcamp..
- iOS 4.0 , 4.0.2, 4.0.2, 4.1 and above
- iPhone 3Gs, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G
1. Download limera1n, and iOS 4.1 on your desktop.
2. Your iOS device(s) must already run a supported stock iOS. DO NOT restore and use this tool if you need to unlock. If you need to preserver your baseband to unlock, restore your iPhone 4 ( ONLY!!!!) device through TinyUmbrella ( link above )
NOTE: before you restore, save your SHSH blobs, if you didn’t do it already. Tutorial here…
3. Run Limera1n
4. Click on make it ra1n
5. Your iOS device will enter in recovery mode
6. Now you will need to press the Home+Power button to enter the device in DFU mode. Follow instructions on the screen…
7. Now, you will see the image of a lime ra1ndrop on your device’s screen.
8. After a few seconds Limera1n will let you know that it’s done..
9. After your iOS device powers back on, you will see a new icon on the HomeScreen called Limera1n. Load it…
10. Once Limera1n opens select Cydia then press the Install button at the top right of the screen.
11. If Cydia won’t show up on your SpringBoard after installation, restart your device.
12. That’s it. Done deal…
NOTE: do not use this tool if you need to unlock. Wait for PwnageTool, or if you have an iPhone 4, restore your iPhone through TinyUmbrella ( BE CAREFUL )