The iTunes Store features a purchase option called “iTunes Allowance.” An iTunes Allowance allows you to send a monthly iTunes Store credit to a family member, friend, or colleague and let them manage their own iTunes Store purchases within a budget you control ( $10 to $50 a month ), and without giving them your credit card.
Jump over the break to learn how to set up an iTunes Allowance….
Before you set up an iTunes Allowance
- Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. To download the latest version (it’s free!), visit the Download iTunes webpage.
- You must have your own iTunes Store account with an accepted credit card on file. If you don’t already have an iTunes Store account, open iTunes and create a new account.
- If your recipient has an iTunes Store account, you will need to know his or her account name, also known as an Apple ID. The iTunes Store account name must be in the form of an email address. If your recipient doesn’t have an account, have his or her email address handy. Important: If your recipient already has an iTunes account, it’s important that you use it when setting up an allowance. Otherwise, it will be difficult for your recipient to manage his or her purchased music.
How to set up an iTunes Allowance
Now that you know what you need, here’s how to send someone an iTunes Allowance:
1. Open the iTunes Store and click Buy iTunes Gifts from the Quick Links section on the right.
2. Scroll down to the Allowances section and click “Set up an allowance now.”
3. Enter the requested information on the page as follows:
- Your Name: This is the name that will appear in your message to your recipient, telling him or her who the allowance is from. You can enter anything in this field (Mom, Dad, Aunt Karen, Mr. Cornelius Oswald Whitman III, Fido, or anything else).
- Recipient’s Name: This is the name we will use to address your recipient in the message.
- Monthly Allowance: Choose an allowance dollar amount from the pop-up menu. This is the amount that will be deducted from your credit card each month.
- First Installment: Select the appropriate radio button to either send the allowance immediately (allowance will then be given on the first of the month thereafter), or start the allowance on the first of the next month.
- Recipient’s Apple ID: Select the appropriate radio button to either create an account for your recipient (if he or she does not already have a iTunes Store account), or enter the recipient’s existing account name. Then type the recipient’s email address (for a new account) or iTunes Store account in the Apple ID fields.
Important: If the recipient already has an iTunes Store account, please do not create a new account.
- Personal Message: This text will appear in your message to your recipient.
4. If you’re not already signed in to the iTunes Store, you may be prompted to sign in using your iTunes account information to complete the allowance process.
Managing Your Allowances
You can view, change the monthly amount, suspend, and cancel any established allowances on your Account Information page.