Yesterday, we showed you that the iPod Nano 6th gen was hacked. The springboard hack is just the removal of a app and creation of a blank space. Not that amazing, but whats important is the bypass of Nano’s cache comparison, which compares any modded SB file and reverts it if it doesn’t like it, this opens up the possibility of hacking and modding, while not adding bootloaders or any of that fun stuff.
1. Make sure “Enable disk use” is ticked in iTunes when the Nano is plugged in.
2. Go to My Computer and then into the Nano. Enable hidden folders and go into the iPod_Control, then into Device.
3. Make a backup of IconState.plist (save it to your desktop or something) and then proceed to open the original with Notepad or any text editor, here is what you’ll see this:
4. For this tutorial I removed the SBPhotos part of the corresponding string and deleted the SBAlbums and SBGenres. (Note: you aren’t actually deleting the apps, simply removing their visibility from the system).
5. Save this file.
6. SyncTug it: hold down the minus volume button and lock button at the same time and as soon as it begins to reboot (screen flashes black for a moment), unplug the iPod cable from it.
7. Watch it boot and show that the Photos and Genres app are missing and a space before the Settings app.