If you want to unlock your Mac using your iOS device’s Touch ID, there’s an app for that. It’s called MacID and it’s now free for a limited time. The iOS app is available on the iTunes App Store, but it won’t work by itself. It needs an OS X companion app with you can download here.
MacID requires a Mac with Bluetooth LE and running OS X Yosemite, and IOS device with Bluetooth LE running iOS 8.
- MacID works with multiple Macs at once.
- Unlock your Mac using Touch ID or your device passcode.
- Interactive notifications – you don’t even have to unlock your iOS device.
- Control your Mac’s audio; works with iTunes & Spotify!
- Manually lock your Mac remotely.
- Auto-lock when you’re away from your Mac.
- Proximity waking when returning to your Mac.
- Notification Center widget; unlock your Mac from anywhere on your iOS device.
- Share clipboard text between your Mac and iOS device.
- Choose between MacID’s standard colours or a more high-contrast UI.
- Full iPad support with split-screen display.
- Authorise with Touch ID for tasks like moving protected files to the Trash on your Mac.
Macs that support Bluetooth LE:
- MacBook Air from 2011 & newer
- MacBook Pro from 2012 & newer
- iMac from 2012 & newer
- Mac Mini from 2011 & newer
- Mac Pro from 2013 & newer