Although this update is pointless, many of you wish to update and get the latest and the best for your iDevices. But for many of you there is a jailbreaking issues involved. Well you are in luck, because MuscleNerd pointed out that iPhone 2G users can use “yesterday’s redsn0w” to jailbreak. Well it works for 3G as well, and we suspect that all iTouches as well ( except 3G ). iPhone 3Gs users you should wait.
Later edit: it won’t work with iPod Touch 3G. Will get stuck at “uploading ramdisk”. Also iPhone 3Gs and iTouch 2G users should wait for a new release of redsn0w
First thing you should take in consideration before you proceed:
- if your life depends on your phone, just wait. This is experimental
- if you depend on unlocking the phone, don’t do it. The new FW updates the baseband.
- we are not sure about iTouches. your call…
- restore your device withFW 3.1.3 first
- download FW 3.1.2 on your desktop
- download bootloaders for iPhone 2G.
- download redsn0w 0.9beta4 Mac and Windows
NOTE: i am doing this on a Mac but the process is exactly the same on Windows.
How to do it:
1. Connect the device to your computer and turn it OFF
2. Launch redsn0w 0.9beta3 , browse and select the original 3.1.2 FW
3. An automatic process will start. This will download and patch the kernel
Now on the next screen choose Cydia and click continue. NOTE: if you are on a iPhone 2G check the “unlock phone”
4. You will be asked to put your iPhone into the DFU mode. Just follow the directions on the screen.
5. Once in recovery mode, redsn0w will start and automatic process and it will jailbreak your device. That it, enjoy the pointless 3.1.3 update.