If you want to backup your Instagram account but don’t want to request a backup from facebook or you’re just looking for a good Instagram scraping OSINT tool, you should take a look at Instaloader.
Instaloader is a free and open source tool written in Python that allows you to download pictures and videos along with their captions and other metadata from Instagram. Being a python library you can also write your own scripts to spot ghost followers for example.
- downloads public and private profiles, hashtags, user stories, feeds and saved media,
- downloads comments, geotags and captions of each post,
- automatically detects profile name changes and renames the target directory accordingly,
- allows fine-grained customization of filters and where to store downloaded media,
Open up a terminal and use
pip3 install instaloader to install. To update use
pip3 install --upgrade instaloader
If you’re using Arch/Manjaro, Instaloder is available in AUR. Windows 10 users can download the standalone executable.
1. To download all pictures and videos of a profile, as well as the profile picture use
instaloader profile username. You can also specify a list of usernames. It’ll also help if you
cd to where you want to save your Instagram data.
2. To update the local copy of your downloaded username use
instaloader --fast-update profile username.Using this options, Instaloader stops when arriving at the first already-downloaded picture. When updating profiles, Instaloader automatically detects profile name changes and renames the target directory accordingly.
3. To download private profiles, you will need to login. Use
instaloader --login=your_username profile username.
NOTE: When logging in, Instaloader stores the session cookies in a file in your temporary directory, which will be reused later the next time –login is given. So you can download private profiles non-interactively when you already have a valid session cookie file.
4. To download a user’s stories, geotags, highlights, comments or photos that tagged your specific user use
instaloader --stories profile username
instaloader --geotags profile username
instaloader --highlights profile username
instaloader --comments profile username
instaloader --tagged profile username
Instaloader has an amazing documentation that you can check here. Also don’t forget to check the help page.
Main photo credit goes to Chris Phillips
SUPPORTFSM has no ads or affiliate links. Your support would simply pay for our servers, domain and maintanance. If there's any leftover change, we'll get some coffee and a slice of pizza.