Probably most of you are waiting for Sean Kovac’s GV Mobile + , and while waiting you would like to know that an unofficial Google Voice app called ‘GV Connect’ was just dropped in the app store.
GV Connect is a native iPhone/iPod Touch application which allows you to interact with your existing “Google Voice” account much faster than using the web interface:
- Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number – enter number directly, select a contact from your device’s contacts, or call back any number in your history.
- Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number.
- Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) – voicemails will also show the transcription of the message when available.
- Mark messages as starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations.
- Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note.
- Messages are stored on your device for offline access.
- Composing notes and text messages can be done in landscape mode.
- Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb, message notifications, …) directly from within the application.
- Automatic checking for new messages while the application is active.
- Direct access to your device’s contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
- All communication is done with the Google Voice website directly, no need to hand over your account information to a third-party.
- Full support for fast app switching in iOS4 and high-resolution graphics for retina displays.
GV Connect stores your account password securely in your device’s keychain for faster login when launching the application – communication is done via secure connections (SSL) to the Google Voice servers and no contact information (other than the contact’s phone number which is required to place a call or send a message) is sent to Google. All operations are fully synchronized with your Google Voice account.
NOTE: An existing Google Voice account is required to use this application
You can buy GV Connect for $2.99 from the app store…