The iPhone DevTeam just released their new version of PwnageTool, which allows us to create custom firmwares for our iOS devices.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NOTE: With PwnageTool 4.0 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by the software.
- iPhone 2G – not supported
- iPod Touch – not supported
- iPod Touch 3G – not supported
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
Summary: PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions, once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
- Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock – but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
What you need:
- iTunes 9.2 install on your Mac
- PwnageTool 4.0
- iOS 4.0
1. Connect your iOS device and load PwnageTool 4.0…
2. Select ‘Expert Mode’ and you iOS device and click next…
3. Now the tool will search your computer for iOS 4 stock firmware. If it won’t find it, browse for it yourself…
4. Now select ‘General’ and click next…
5. On the next screen you will have the options to:
- activate the phone (ONLY if you are not on a official carrier )
- activate iOS 4 functions Apple intentionally blocked on iPhone 3G and iTouch 2G
- increase the root partition size ( or leave it as it is )
6. On the next screen you will be able to pre-install Cydia sources and packages
7. On the next screen you will be able to install DevTeam’s custom boot logos, install your own custom boot logos, or continue to use Apple’s boot logos
8. Now select build, and wait for PwnageTool 4.0 to build your custom firmware.
8.1 While creating the custom firmware, PwnageTool will ask you for your computer’s password. Type it in, and continue…
9. Now it’s time to put your iOS device in DFU mode. Don’t worry if you mess it up, because you can try it as many times as you want..
10. When your iOS device is in DFU mode, load iTunes ( which will prompt you that it has found a device in recovery mode ) , ‘alt+restore’ and browse for the custom firmware you just created..
11. That’s it. Enjoy…
NOTE: IF Cydia icon is blank, load the app, go to Manage>Sources>Add and add the following source: http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7
NOTE: If you need to unlock your iOS device, check our ultrasn0w tutorial here…