Ok, this is pure genius, but nothing new for Windows users ( at the moment ) and nothing new on the untethered jailbreak either. If by any chance you are stuck on 05.14 or 05.15 baseband, this is your lucky day.
This is almost an entirely new process, so pay attention to each step, and make sure you read all the warnings twice.
A little bit of background:
In order to unlock the iPhone 3G and 3Gs stuck on 05.14 or 05.15 baseband, the iPhone DevTeam pulled a magic unicorn switcheroo out of their shiny top hats:
They took an exploit that was closed by Apple in the iPhone baseband, but still active in the iPad 3G baseband; they also tweaked PwnageTool, creating an ‘Unlock Edition’ , and by using it , basically you transfer the iPad’s baseband ( version 06.15.00 ) into your iPhone.
WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.
What you need:
- iPad firmware 3.2.2 ( download as soon as possible. Apple might pull it )
- iPhone 3G/3Gs firmware 4.1
- iTunes 10.1
- PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition
How to do it: ( NOTE: we used most of the tutorial from our previous PwnageTool tutorials, but we made the necessary adjustments )
1. Load iTunes and sync your iDevice so you can backup. If you dont want to backup with iTunes, you can to it manually…
2. Download and load PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition. You will get a pop-up window, click OK
3. Click on expert mode button, select your device and click on the blue arrow to continue.
4. In the next window, you will need to select the stock iPhone 3G/3Gs 4.1 firmware. Click on Browse for IPSW and then click on the blue arrow…
5. In the next screen you will get a pop-up telling you that you have the option to upgrade your iPhone’s baseband to an iPad baseband. Click ‘Yes’ and then browse for the iPad firmware 3.2.2.
6. In the next window select “General” and lets start customizing the firmware
6.1. In the next screen adjust the size of the partition or leave as it is and click on continue.
NOTE: You may need to increase the size of the root partition slightly. My first attempt failed at creating the IPSW until I increased the size to about 695 MB.
6.2 In the next screen you can add repositories and install any application that you want so when you restore your iDevice it will already be full of everything you need. To do this, first go to “Manage Sources” and add all the sources that you want. Now go to the “Download Packages” tab, refresh the list and select the apps that you want to be install and click on “Add to queue”. All the apps will be displayed in the “Select Packages” tab. Make sure everything is right and than click on the blue arrow to continue
6.3 In the next window you have the option to install Cydia or not. We suggest you do….
7. Now select “Build” and than click on the blue arrow to continue and start creating your custom firmware
7.1 Now you will be asked where you want to save the custom firmware. Choose your path and click on Save
8. Now wait until the custom firmware is built and saved on your computer
9. Now it’s time to put the iOS device into DFU mode. Connect your device to your computer turned ON and follow the steps on the screen
10. Once you are into DFU mode, open iTunes ( it will recognize a device in recovery mode ) , alt+restore and browse for the custom FW you just created. Wait for the restore
11. Now, load Cydia and install ultrasn0w 1.2.
12. That’s it you’re done.
There’s an error in the bundle for the iPhone3GS 4.1 that prevents the new baseband from being used. If you know your way around OSX, please download the fixed bundle. Check out the first part of this tutorial to learn how to use this bundle.