If you want to jailbreak an iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G running iOS 4.1, you can use limera1n. But what about an iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G? Well, you can use redsn0w…
NOTE: if you need to unlock, DO NOT use redsn0w ( nor limera1n )
NOTE: you can update an iPhone 4 ( ONLY ) through TinyUmbrella to preserve the baseband and still unlock it ( see tutorial )
- iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2G running iOS 4.1
- iOS 4.1 downloaded on your desktop
- redsn0w for Mac or Windows
NOTE: if you have an “MC” model of the ipt2g, your 4.1 jailbreak will be tethered…sorry! (Consider rolling back to a FW supported by jailbreakme.com or spiritjb.com)
1. Update your iPhone/iPod to iOS 4.1 and download everything listed above on your desktop
2. Run redsn0w, and click on browse. Browse for the stop iOS 4.1 and open it
3. Browse for the stop iOS 4.1 and open it. Wait for redsn0w to recognize it and click ‘Next’
4. On the next screen select what you want to be installed on your iOS device(s). By default, Cydia and ‘enable battery percentage’ is selected. I suggest you deselect battery percentage and everything else, and just install Cydia. This will improve ( a bit ) the overall speed of your device. If you choose to “Enable battery percentage”, you actually toggle that off and on via Settings->General->Usage.
5. redsn0w will ask you to turn your device off. If it’s not already off, plug it in FIRST and then turn it off. Click next to continue
6. Now, you will need to put your device in DFU mode. Follow the instructions on the screen.
7. Wait a few seconds for redsn0w to do its thing, and you are done. You can close redsn0w because everything else it’s happening directly on the device.
NOTE: Any Windows users seeing “Waiting for reboot” for too long (more than 20 seconds or so), please try “shaking” the JB process by unplugging then replugging your USB cable (while letting redsn0w continue to run). Also, try using a USB port “closer” to your computer (as opposed to on your monitor or behind another hub).