As far as my research goes this is available only if you live in North America ( US and Canada ONLY ). I did not find such a service with the European/Asian/Australian etc carriers.You can actually send an email to a number via a provider, and they will convert it into a text and send it for you.
This is a fairly easy process. All you need to do is : use default mail.app on your iPhone/iPod and know which carrier they’re with. And by they i mean the recipients:
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Virgin Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cingular: email@example.com
- Sprint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verizon: email@example.com
- Nextel: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you know any other method, or such methods for the rest of the world please dont be shy and share them in the comments.